Kamis, 20 September 2012
Canadians are privileged to have access to universal health care coverage - from annual physical check-ups to emergency medical services, and more. Provincial health plans include coverage for medications you require while you are hospitalized; however, prescription drugs needed outside of an inpatient care setting are not covered.
In order to assist Canadians with the cost of their prescription drugs, each province has a variety of drug insurance program options available to its residents. The program for which you qualify will depend on a few factors including your age, income level, employment status, and whether you are part of other private insurance plans. Here is a quick overview of each province's drug insurance coverage.
British Columbia - Drug insurance in British Columbia (BC) is available through the BC Pharmacare programs. BC residents under the provincial health plan are eligible for the Fair Pharmacare program, which sets your coverage level depending on your income and establishes an appropriate per-person deductible based on that information. Under Pharmacare, there is a variety of other plans including one for people in Licensed Residential Care Facilities, for children living at home with disabilities requiring prescription care, and for victims of Cystic Fibrosis and HIV/AIDS. There are also plans for individuals receiving income assistance and for those with mental health issues.
Alberta - Residents of Alberta are eligible for the Alberta Health and Wellness Prescription Drug Program, which is available to all who are registered with the provincial health care plan. Low-income families can receive subsidized rates on their coverage. There are plans for people under 65 and for seniors, as well as for children of limited income families. Among the specialty programs are plans for those with rare diseases and for patients under palliative care.
Manitoba - Like BC, Manitoba drug insurance coverage is provided to all eligible residents, with the deductible being based on one's income level. To qualify for Pharmacare, you need only be a Manitoba resident who is registered with the provincial health plan, and do not have existing drug coverage from other government programs.
Saskatchewan - Residents of this province have access to drug coverage through the Saskatchewan Drug Plan. All residents of Saskatchewan who are registered under the provincial health plan and do not receive other government assistance for prescriptions are eligible for the Saskatchewan drug insurance program. The program offers a range of options depending on your needs and income level. Programs are available for low income families, and a special program offering reduced costs is available for seniors.
Ontario - The Ontario drug insurance system offers several different coverage options. The Ontario Drug Program (ODP) provides prescription drug coverage to residents who are 65 years of age or older, living in a long term or special care home, or receiving home care or income assistance. For those residents who do not qualify for ODP, the province offers the Trillium Drug Program, which provides assistance to anyone who is registered with the provincial health plan and does not receive 100% prescription drug coverage under an existing group plan. This plan uses an income-based deductible.
Quebec - All residents of Quebec who do not receive drug coverage from other insurance providers are eligible for the Quebec drug insurance program, Regie de l'assurance maladie du Quebec (RAMQ). Premiums for the plan are determined based on income. In Quebec, you must register for either a private prescription drug plan, or for the public health plan by law.
New Brunswick - New Brunswick drug insurance is available through the New Brunswick Prescription Drug Plan, which provides coverage to eligible residents. There are ten separate plans in the program, offering coverage to seniors, people living with illnesses such as Cystic Fibrosis and HIV/AIDS, patients in care facilities, and children in specific circumstances including those with special needs.
Nova Scotia - Residents of Nova Scotia, who meet the eligibility requirements, can qualify for Pharmacare. The Nova Scotia drug insurance plan is available to individuals receiving income assistance, seniors covered by Medical Services Insurance, and low-income cancer patients. There is also a program for patients with Multiple Sclerosis.
Prince Edward Island - Drug insurance coverage in this province is available through the PEI Drug Programs to residents who meet eligibility requirements. Residents who are 65 or older are eligible for PEI Medicare, while low-income families and their children, people on welfare services, as well as patients with Diabetes or Multiple Sclerosis can apply for the coverage.
Newfoundland/Labrador - Newfoundland drug insurance covers both Newfoundland and Labrador residents who meet the eligibility requirements for the program. The Newfoundland and Labrador Prescription Drug Program is available to residents who qualify for benefits through the Department of Human Resources and Employment, Food Bank recipients, seniors, and select residents who cannot afford prescribed high cost medications. There is also coverage for people with Cystic Fibrosis and Growth Hormone Deficiency.
Yukon - The Yukon drug insurance program provides assistance to a range of residents via several plans. Pharmacare is available to seniors 65 and over and their spouses 60 and over, as well as extended benefits as needed. There is a program for families with children, living under limited income. Drug coverage is also available to those with certain chronic illnesses.
Northwest Territories - You can obtain Northwest Territories drug insurance if you are a resident and if you meet the eligibility requirements. Drug benefits are extended to senior citizens as well as to people facing diseases that are part of the Specified Diseases list. Drug benefits are available through the program to people of Métis descent not otherwise covered.
Nunavut - Residents who meet eligibility requirements can receive Nunavut drug insurance via the Nunavut Health Plan's prescription drug program. Senior citizens, residents who receive income assistance, and individuals facing certain illnesses or conditions are also eligible.
Rabu, 22 Agustus 2012
To put it simple, health insurance provides coverage for medical costs incurred from illnesses or injuries. Mediclaim insurance also gives you peace of mind when in times of stress incurred from hospitalization of a loved one. However, it is vital to choose the right kind of insurance as policies provide coverage for a wide range of health needs which may or may not benefit you. In some cases, even a primary Mediclaim insurance will not cover certain illnesses. Hence, choosing the best health insurance is a careful process.
Why Do You Need A Good Mediclaim Insurance?
A good healthcare insurance protects you from medical expenses you can't afford on your own. It also covers a variety of medical expenses including doctor fees, outpatient treatment, hospitalization expenses, prescription medicines, emergency ambulance services, and diagnostics. Mediclaim policies not only provides you with better access to health care, but also reduces your out-of-pocket expenses.
Choosing and Buying A Good Health Insurance
Today, medical expenses are increasing considerably and so are the health risks. Therefore, it is essential to have a Mediclaim policies that not only covers your basic health care expenses, but also miscellaneous expenses. With a wide array of insurance policies, the task of choosing a good medical insurance policy for your needs can be a daunting task. Comparing health policies of different insurance companies will give you a better perspective in finding a good policy. Moreover, there are many insurance companies that offer you policies at affordable rates. Choosing a good Mediclaim insurance policy can help you stay covered from unexpected eventualities.
Here are some things to consider while choosing a good insurance policy:
• Which healthcare insurance plan best suits the needs of you and your family?
• What are the coverage options available?
• Does the health insurance policy cover disabilities and other critical illnesses?
• Does the policy provide extra health covers that could benefit you?
• Are there any pre-existing clauses that you should know?
• Most importantly, is your health insurance policy affordable?
While many companies who provide coverage dental and eye care as part of their plan, maternity expenses are covered with a waiting period that differs. Nowadays, even ayurvedic treatments are being covered, making health care, an affordable amenity. A good insurance plan also covers miscellaneous out-of-pocket expenses incurred during or after hospitalization.
Buying Health Insurance Online
Online purchase of insurance is becoming a staple process due to the hassle-free and time-saving processes it includes. The use of an online health insurance calculator is also necessary as it accurately tells you how much you should insure for. Insurance companies also offer a variety of plans that can be easily purchased and renewed online.
Rabu, 18 Juli 2012
Once you retire and no longer receive the benefits of a group insurance plan from your employer it cannot be stressed enough how important senior health insurance is.
At one time seniors were able to rely on government help for health concerns that become almost mandatory as a person ages. Medical services such as eye exams, dental care, prescriptions, hospital care and ambulance transport are no longer all available without charges based on provincial medical insurance. Although there are still some coverage for seniors offered by provincial plans, not everything is covered.
At one time it was all so simple, however now we need to take notice and be aware of the situation regarding health care for seniors. To be part of a group insurance plan in the workplace is ideal, but in most cases when one retires,the group insurance coverage also ends. There will be millions of baby boomers retiring now and continuing into the near future, this means more medical services and needs within the senior population.
Timing Be Aware
After the age of 55, it is more difficult to get certain types of insurance, whether it be group insurance at your workplace, or health insurance from private sources that will cost more. After the age of 70 it is very difficult to find any private supplemental health insurance. As time goes by the need for supplemental health insurance becomes more important. Senior health insurance is more expensive in some situations because of the risks the insurance company consider could be involved, for example an extended illness of the insured costing many thousands of dollars, which the insurance company would have to pay, therefore such situations are considered and included in the cost of the policy. We all know that as we age our health becomes more of a concern, therefore getting adequate insurance for possible needs also becomes a concern.
By using good timing and being aware, you can have supplemental insurance that will benefit you when and if you eventually need it. Once you reach the age of retirement, the government will take care of certain medical issues, however, they are limited and supplemental insurance should be high on your list of necessities for all the coverage you may need in case of long term illness, hospital coverage and medication. In addition, you may need long-term therapy, or in home recovery care, these are what supplemental insurance will cover. Speak to an insurance broker about health insurance products that are specifically designed for the needs of seniors. Some plans are meant to take over where the plan from your employer leaves off when you retire so you avoid having a gap when you are not covered.
What you Should Consider
When preparing yourself for retirement and that much-needed extra medical and health insurance, it is a good idea to consider the following:
Different provinces have different plans and so you need to inform yourself on what is covered before you purchase supplemental insurance.
When you buy supplemental health insurance, the older you are on application, the higher the premiums will be. Once you reach the age of 70 it will be more difficult, if not impossible, to find a supplemental health insurance plan.
medical questionnaire and/or exam will be required to sign up for a health insurance plan. Your premium could vary depending on the state of your health.
You do not need to buy everything offered; you can make choices on what coverage you want.
You can get certain individual medical benefits insurance; or insurance that will cover a number of things such as eye health, dental insurance, hospital coverage and many other options.
Whichever plan you choose, you will pay a monthly premium in exchange for those benefits that you have chosen.
The Importance of Senior Health Insurance
By the time we reach the 'seniors' word, our bodies have been ravaged by the wars of life, and sometimes harsh results are forthcoming, these are the times when we definitely need health insurance. Supplemental health insurance is specifically for those needs, the things the government medical plan does not cover. There are special types of supplemental insurance specifically for the senior population.
Seniors health insurance is an essential commodity. Speak to an insurance specialist about your options.
Selasa, 12 Juni 2012
Maintaining the confidentiality and privacy of your medical records is governed by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996. It makes sure that your health information does not get into the wrong hands and protects it from misuse. HIPAA had laid down certain rules and regulations which all healthcare organizations are required to follow.
Any violations of the HIPAA rules may lead to serious implications. Fines and even imprisonment may follow as a result of misuse. Generally, violations do not happen intentionally, rather they occur due lack of knowledge of the HIPAA rules on the part of the employees. It becomes the responsibility of the healthcare organization to make sure that all their employees who deal with patient records are trained. Once this is done, there will be a drastic decrease in the number of violations and your medical information will be safe.
Here are four major points as to how HIPAA training can help reduce the misuse of your health information.
• Awareness of the various rules and laws of HIPAA and understanding the reasons why these laws are implemented will help the employees to adhere to these rules as they handle your medical records.
• During the training, employees are taught about the privacy and security rules, implications, and results of non-adherence. Once they know all this, the employees will take special care to ensure that they are strictly following the regulations, thus resulting in minimal or no violations.
• On completion of this training, the employees are awarded a completion certificate, which is valid for a minimum of two years. Refreshes courses are provided at regular intervals. This is done so that the employee can be up to date with any amendments or changes in the HIPAA laws. It is necessary to be aware of the changes in order to maintain compliance of the rules.
• As patients, it is important for you also know about HIPAA, its rules and regulations, and results of non-compliance. This can help in preventing the violation of your health information, as you can keep a check on what is happening with your records. As you will be getting regular notices from the hospital, it is good to read it properly before signing as you do not want any compromise when it comes to the safety of your health information.
It is important that the patients are assured that their medical records are in the hands of responsible employees. Knowing that the employees handling their sensitive information have been properly trained will help them be at peace about its misuse. You must always make sure that the health care organization you are seeing strictly follows the HIPAA guidelines. It is good to keep a copy of your records at home so you can know if there are any changes made.
Selasa, 22 Mei 2012
We know how much we love our near and dear ones. So much that we would never take a chance of risking their life when they are sick or injured. The cost of health care has been skyrocketing where family loans and personal loans are not reliable; hence we have a health insurance policy. A medical policy insures the cost of an individual's medical expenses. Medical policy additionally consists hospitalization coverage for anyone who is hospitalized intended for in excess of one day. It reimburses you for your regular hospital consultations. It covers the pre and post hospitalization charges. It allows you to access cashless hospitalization in the best hospitals. A medical policy for you and your family offers lots of aids when you have to spend enormous sums on hospital treatments. To keep your medical policy you pay a certain amount (premium) once each year.
There are different types of health insurances. Individual insurance covers only the applicant's health and hospital routines. For those who wish to bring their family members under the shade of health insurance can choose Family Floater plan. The parents, senior citizens, who are more prone to illness, can be covered under Senior Citizen Insurance with extra privileges considering their present health status and Hospitalization Insurance for a hospital procedure like rooms, medicines, treatments etc. You can enjoy the shelter of medical policy even of you fall sick or get injured while traveling if you apply for Travel Health Insurance. Thus, having a health insurance policy assures you each and every moment of your life towards a good life.
Getting health insurance cover for your family is extremely easy. Any person who is above 18 years can apply for the policy. The customer can buy the policy for any family member(s) children and / or parents. The insured should be above 3 months in case of floater and 6 years in case of an individual. To cover children aged between 3 months to 5 years, at least 1 adult must also be covered with the policy. Different companies have their own maximum age restrictions to purchase health insurance, usually 60years. All the applicants need to show their age proof and identity proof.
Often people think that if they do not get any chance to utilize the premium they are paying each year, e.g. if they do not need any kind of medical treatment at all for a year, their premium would be futile. Unfortunately, it is not true. We never know the future and cannot foresee its health hazard coming our way. In such cases, if we are not prepared, we could be in trouble and risk the lives of our beloved ones. This is when medical policies, come into serious help. The premium that we had been paying would come to our rescue.
Health insurance helps protect an individual or family from monetary loss for costs suffered because of disease or damage. Get your health insurance as soon as you can and take a deep breath of relief.
Rabu, 18 April 2012
The responsibility of protecting patients' sensitive information rests on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, which was enforced for this very reason. When a patient gets admitted in a hospital, there is a sharing of patient information. The healthcare organization is required to respect the confidentiality of the patients. However, for the various reasons, sometimes patient information needs to be accessed and used by employees, insurance companies, billing, and the like. Therefore there is a big risk of this sensitive information getting into the wrong hands, which is why it needs to be well protected.
A patient's confidential information can only be accessed a certain number of times for any reason, and healthcare employees need to be aware of little things like this. Thus they need to be adequately trained so they can access and use the information as per the rules laid down by HIPAA. HIPAA lays down strict rules and regulation for the privacy and security of patient health information. Any misuse or violation leads to severe consequences in the form of fines and imprisonment.
Below are mentioned five reasons how HIPAA training for employees can ensure patient confidentiality.
• HIPAA training helps employees become aware of the rules and regulations laid down by HIPAA. It is essential that all covered healthcare organizations make these training sessions available for their employees at regular intervals. Once they are aware of the rules, it will be easier for them comply.
• Non-compliance with HIPAA rules and laws, leads to severe penalties. In the training, the violations and penalties are also explained. The extent of violation will determine the penalty, whether civil or criminal, whether fines or imprisonment.
• The healthcare organization must decide who are to undergo this training program. Some employees enroll only those employees who directly deal with patients' confidential information, whereas others encourage all the employees to attend these training classes. The sessions are not very long and last for a few hours.
• To protect the sensitive information of the patients, to limit access, and to avoid misuse, HIPAA advices the covered healthcare organizations to put certain physical and technical safeguards in place. HIPAA training explains to the employees all about these safeguards and how they help in protecting confidential patient information.
• The training is not just a once-in-a-life class. On completion, employees will have to give a test to ascertain whether they have actually understood about HIPAA and its rules, regulations, etc. Employees who successful pass the test receive a completion certificate. This certificate proves that they have received the said training.
The certificate received has to be renewed every couple of years. HIPAA constantly introduces new laws and modifies others. Hence it is essential to keep yourself up to date about the continuous changes taking place. You will receive regular notices and updates about any changes and you can also take different tests to gain more knowledge. Proper compliance is only possible when there is proper awareness.
Rabu, 21 Maret 2012
By now, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) should be no mystery to anyone involved in the US medical system. However, in the 16 years that have passed since its enactment back in 1996, HIPAA has managed to keep some of its aspects elusive to the general public. Read below to find out four less known facts about Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act certification.
1. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act certification can generally be obtained by attending a training course and passing an exam with a certain grade and is a requirement for numerous jobs within the health care industry. However, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act certification offers a distinct advantage which not all medical professionals are aware of, but that could greatly benefit them. By attending a training course that caters to specific regulations within HIPAA, such as security, auditing, and administration, an individual can become a specialist who can conduct Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act training for other members of the health care system.
2. Specialists with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act certification are permitted to handle specific aspects of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act in the health care organization they belong to. They can become compliance officers, security officers, they can run audits, controls, and various evaluations, or they can take up positions in administration, Human Resources departments, or management. The type of responsibility you can assume within your medical organization following the obtaining of the HIPAA certification depends on how specialized your training course was. So, if you are looking to advance your career, make sure you thoroughly analyze the various HIPAA certification options available.
3. According to the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act of 2009 (HITECH), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act compliance is not mandatory only for medical professionals with direct access to patients and health information, such as doctors and nurses, but also for business associated of covered entities. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act certification is useful for pharmacy workers, auditors, interpreters used to ease communication between doctors and patients, medical laboratories, and even maintenance and cleaning staff that has access to rooms where patient information is stored. HITECH regulations apply quite drastic sanctions to any business associate that is negligent with protected health information.
4. Although HIPAA compliance is required by law, HIPAA certification is not, so do not confuse the meaning of the two words. All the necessary information on HIPAA can be found on the US Department of Health and Human Services website, completely for free. Nonetheless, formal training is the easiest way to raise Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act awareness and ensure compliance with employees. HIPAA certification titles, as well as types, vary according to the specific courses offered by one training company or another. The US Government does not impose certain regulations or standards for the format of the training course or of the HIPAA certification title, so you have to search and choose the one that best fits you.
These are some of the most important facts about Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act certification which are less known to the average medical professional. Make sure you keep all the information presented above in mind when searching for a training course for your HIPAA certification.
Selasa, 14 Februari 2012
Privacy and security of patients' confidential records is an important function in every health organization. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) lays down the guidelines and rules that ensure the confidentiality of patient medical records. All employees who deal closely with patients and their medical records must be aware of these laws and understand them properly so they can adhere to them in the best possible manner.
For this purpose, healthcare organizations, clearinghouses and even health insurance agencies provide HIPAA training to their employees. There are levels of trainings and an employee is supposed to successfully pass an exam to be certified. Based on your work profile you can choose your specific certification. Certified Security Compliance Specialist, Certified HIPAA Professional, and Certifies HIPAA Administrator are some of the certifications you can choose from.
There are certain employees in hospitals who deal with access, use, and storage of the medical records. These individuals need special training so that there is no scope for any violations of the HIPAA laws. They are trained about the various safeguards to be kept in place to protect the sensitive information. As more and more hospitals are converting to electronic storage, training is essential in order for employees to understand the electronic, physical, and technical safeguards.
Here are five essentials of HIPAA Exams.
• HIPAA exams will introduce you the basics of HIPAA laws starting with the technical and physical safeguards that must be put in place and followed in order to protect the sensitive medical information of patients. The privacy and security laws will also be covered in the training.
• If you want to specialize as a security compliance specialist, there is a special certification you can do for it. Here you will be trained in detail about the security guideline and regulations, including cyber or online security.
• A basic HIPAA certification will teach you basics of HIPAA rules and regulations that every healthcare employee should know regardless if he deals directly with patient medical records or not. This course will help you understand the situations when disclosure of information is legitimate and when it is not.
• Nowadays, HIPAA certifications can be taken online as well as in a classroom setting. Online training is more convenient owing to flexible hours and you can complete the course as per your schedule. An examination is conducted once you finish with the study material. On successfully passing the examination, you become a certified HIPAA administrator.
• Non compliance and violations are not taken lightly by HIPAA. Any such report will lead to heavy fines and even imprisonment depending on the extent of the violation. Therefore, training is important as employees become more aware of every step they take. A small mistake on your part can lead to loss of license for you as well as the health organization.
Healthcare organizations are on the lookout for individuals who are already certified. When they know you are aware of the HIPAA rules and regulation, they feel confident about you joining their team. They also save resources as they don't have to take care of getting your certification done after you join. There are refresher courses available so that you can keep yourself up to date about any modifications in the Act.
Selasa, 17 Januari 2012
HIPAA training is not only important for healthcare personnel but also for employees of other industries like lawyers, insurance agents, and the like. Therefore, employees looking to work in any such industry must consider getting a HIPAA certification. Possessing a certification implies that you have undergone the training and are knowledgeable about the various rules, regulations, laws, penalties and other features of HIPAA.
If you are trained, you will definitely be better and more efficient at your job. Ignorance of the HIPAA laws means putting the provider, patient, and yourself at risk. You are responsible for ensuring that the patients' sensitive medical information is protected. The easiest way to get your certification would be to do it online. All you need is a PC and internet connection.
Here are three things you should know about HIPAA certification.
• Online training makes the process of certification very simple. Sometimes your employer may enroll a large number of staff to be trained together. As many as four to five hundred people can get trained together. If a large group is being trained, training can be conducted at the workplace itself. If it is only you, you can do it at home. The best part about online training is the flexible hours.
• The fee for the online training is comparatively cheaper. This is beneficial for both the employer and the employee. However, there is no compromise with the quality of the course. You are free to ask any questions via email or clear any doubts you have while you are studying the material provided to you. As an employee, you will benefit greatly from this training and will be able to serve your patients better once you are done. You will be able to discern what you should and should not do in regard to a patient's confidential information. Your employer will have more confidence in you as you deal with patients and their medical records.
• The HIPAA online training is a step by step process. Once you have the material in the form of PowerPoint slides, studying it will take from half an hour to one hour. It consists of technical as well as practical information. Once you learn all the HIPAA regulations, you will be taught how to practically implement them in your workplace. You will be asked to write an exam covering all that you have learnt in the course of the training program. Once you pass the exam, you will be awarded a certificate that you can print immediately. As this training takes only a short period of time, both employers and employees will be happy.
Privacy of private information of patients is a very important part of the healthcare industry. Therefore, it is essential that those employees who handle this information be adequately trained so that they can avoid any accidental misuse and violations. This can be achieved by getting a HIPAA certification. Knowledge and awareness of all the HIPAA rules and regulations will mean lesser violations.